I can scarcely imagine reducing the scriptures to my top ten - but before I read Doug on this, I must have a try. I will confine myself to the TNK first. I am going to go from memory and on impulse.
Narrowing down the books: Psalms, Genesis, Deuteronomy, Job, Ecclesiates, Isaiah, Song, Lamentations - that will do and some of my verses may not come from these favorites and some of my favorite books may not register individual verses. I apologize to the books I have not listed.
Verses: (if I need to say where they come from, they are not your favorite)
- Let him kiss me with the
mkisses of his mouth for your love is better than wine.
- My beloved is mine and I am his - and its counter - I am my beloved's and his desire is for me.
- He will not break a bruised reed, nor smother smouldering flax.
- O that you were my brother that I might embrace you in the streets and no one would take notice.
- Your loving kindness is better than life itself - my lips will praise you.
- Jerusalem, Jerusalem, turn to the LORD your God (ht Thomas Tallis - favorites include musical memory) - to which I will add - ht Stanford - O pray for the peace of Jerusalem, they shall prosper that love thee.
- Have mercy upon me, O God, after thy great goodness (ht Allegri).
- My help comes even from the LORD who has made heaven and earth.
- My just one will live by my/his faith/faithfulness (take your pick).
- Sit at my right hand, till I make your enemies your footstool (ht Handel).
As for my excuses - that will have to wait for another time.