Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Job 42

And Job answered יְהוָה and said 1

I know that you have all power 2
and thought is not withheld from you
"who is this secreting counsel without knowledge?" 3
therefore I told and I had not understood
things too wonderful for me and I did not know

hear please and I myself will speak 4
"and I will ask you and you make known to me"
of the hearing of an ear I had heard of you 5
and now my eye sees you
therefore I refuse 6
and I am comforted in dust and ashes

7 And it happened after יְהוָה had spoken the words - these ones - to Job
that יְהוָה said to Eliphaz the Temanite: my wrath burns in you and your two friends
- for you have not spoken of me what is prepared as has my servant Job.

8 And now take for yourselves seven bulls and seven rams
and go to my servant Job and offer an offering for yourselves
and Job my servant will mediate for you
for if I lift up his face I will not do with you foolishness
- for you have not spoken of me what is prepared as has my servant Job.

9 and they went, Eliphaz the Temanite and Bildad the Shuhite and Zophar the Naamathite and they did as the word of יְהוָה to them and יְהוָה lifted up יְהוָה the face of Job.

10 And יְהוָה turned the captivity of Job when he mediated for his friends
and יְהוָה added to all that was Job's double.
11 And all his brothers and sisters came to him and all who knew his face
and they ate bread with him in his house and they lamented for him
and comforted him about all the evil that יְהוָה had made come on him
and they gave him each one qasita and each one gold ring.
12 And יְהוָה blessed Job's end more than his beginning
and it came to him fourteen thousand sheep
and six thousand camels
and a thousand pair of oxen
and a thousand she-donkeys.

13 And there were to him seven sons and three daughters
14 and he called the name of the first, dove,
and the name of the second cinnamon,
and the name of the third eye-shadow.
15 And there were no women found as fair as the daughters of Job in all the earth
and their father gave to them an inheritance among their brothers.
16 And Job lived after this one hundred and forty years
and he saw his children and his children's children to four generations.
17 And Job died old and sated of days.

42.7



prepared - cf wisdom in chapter 28:27 or those things prepared for us to walk in - a mystery of what is 'right' - established before all time. Cf 18:12. One could be concordant with a different word here also - perhaps established. The connotations of either are quite different from 'right'.
42.8
cf 6:13, 6:28
42.11
lament and comfort = 2:11

No comments: