Thursday, June 18, 2009

Job 31

Job is a marvel here - but he is not morally perfect. His completeness must be different from moral perfection. Here as in other poems, he admits his transgression and his iniquity. And he is a man of his time. In some places in this chapter, he does not meet our standards of what is moral - at least not mine (nor Good's). But my completeness does not consist in some standard of morality either.

Is it morality that we seek? Or that Job seeks? He achieves his desire. But not because he deserved it for moral behaviour. And it should not be so hard for us with the revelation of Jesus Christ as it were - behind us. But then that's the problem - we see its back when it is the face to face that we need.

Good points out that the oaths take the same form as that of the accuser in chapter 1 - a condition often without a following consequence.

a covenant I cut with my eye
why then would I reflect on a virgin?
and what is a portion of God from above(1)
and an inheritance of the Sufficient from the heights?
is it not a burden to the unjust
or recognized by the workers of iniquity?
does he not see my ways
and all my steps number?(2)

if I have walked - if in emptiness
and hasted to deceit my foot
let me be weighed in a just balance
that God may know my completeness
if my paces have stretched the way
and after my eyes my heart has walked
and in my open palm clings a blemish
let me sow and another eat
and my offspring be uprooted

if my heart is enticed by a woman
and at the opening of my friend I take advantage
let my wife grind for another(3)
and over her let others bow
for this plan -
and this is iniquity for intercessors(4)
for this fire to Abaddon eats
and all my income would uproot

if I refuse the judgment of my servant
or my maid in their contention against me
then what will I do when the One rises
for when he visits - how will I turn to him?
has not he that made me from the belly also made him
and established us in the womb as one?

if I have withheld from desire the deprived
and caused the eye of a widow to be consumed
of have eaten my morsel alone
and an orphan has not eaten of it
for from my youth he grew up with me as father
and from the belly of my mother did I guide her

if I have seen one perishing for lack of clothing
or any uncovered poor
if his loins have not blessed me
and from the fleece of my lambs he is warmed
if I have brandished my hand against the orphan
when I saw in the gate my help
let my shoulder from her back fall
and my arm as a reed be maimed
for the burden of the One was dread to me
and from his height I have no power

if I have set gold as my confidence
or to the fine gold have said - my trust
if I rejoice because my wealth is great
or because my hand found much
if I see light shining
of the precious moon walking
and my heart enticed in concealment
or my mouth had kissed my hand
indeed this is iniquity for an intercessor
for I would deny the One above

if I rejoice in the burden of one hating me
or roused myself when evil found him
and I did not give my taste to sin
to ask with an oath for his being
if then my males had said
who will give his flesh for satiation?

in the street a lodger does not endure
I opened my door as a path
if I cover as Adam my transgression
and bury in my bosom my iniquity
for I was worried by a great crowd
or broken by the contempt of tribes
and I kept silence and did not take the opening

who will give me a hearing?
lo - my mark(5)
the Sufficient will answer me
a man of my contention writes a book
if not on my shoulder
I would lift it up tied on as my halo
the number of my steps I would tell him
as a noble I would approach him

if against me my ground would call for help
and as one her furrows weeping
if fruits I have eaten without silver
and the beings of the owners I blew away
under wheat let thorns come forth
and under barley bindweed

Complete are the words of Job
(1) this is not as sudden a change of subject as one might think.
(2) an opening bracket
(3) It should be noted in defense of that age that such a punishment would be humiliation and shame for the male also and reflects a closeness of one flesh that today tends to be lost.
(4) I think this is an important reading - some things only are healed by prayer - one's own and the prayers of others
(5) literally תוי my taf. Is this the sign of one who does not write?

9 comments:

WoundedEgo said...

You translated:

"if my heart is enticed by a woman
and at the opening of my friend I take advantage
let my wife grind for another(3)
and over her let others bow
for this plan -
and this is iniquity for intercessors(4)
for this fire to Abaddon eats
and all my income would uproot"

Might "at the *opening* of my friend" be "at the *invitation* of my friend"?

Bob MacDonald said...

Invitation? I don't think so. At least not as if it is a direct invitation. You see that the word is a frame in this section of the poem. It occurs only twice in Job and both times in this chapter.

WoundedEgo said...

So, what is the "opening"? A vagina?

Bob MacDonald said...

No - and I don't think the poem or my blog gives an opening for such a question.

WoundedEgo said...

This is a discussion of lust, taking advantage, his wife "grinding" for another (or is this talking about making flour?), and others "bowing over" his woman...

So what is the opening?

* not an invitation
* not a vagina

Then what?

You think me vulgar... perhaps you translated without reading your text?

Bob MacDonald said...

Your question is out of context. If it matches the opening at the end of the chapter, then it is a matter of 'occasion' in which Job can either take advantage or not. Such a taking advantage he would consider to be iniquity for intercessors. The old version has 'iniquity to be punished by the judges'.

WoundedEgo said...

>>>Your question is out of context. If it matches the opening at the end of the chapter, then it is a matter of 'occasion' in which Job can either take advantage or not.

I'm sorry, Bob, but this is a rather cryptic response. What are you trying to say?

>>>Such a taking advantage he would consider to be iniquity for intercessors. The old version has 'iniquity to be punished by the judges'.

I just don't get what you are saying. I'm sorry. Please spell it out. To what "opening" is he referring? Thanks.

Bob MacDonald said...

I don't mean to be cryptic - there are two uses of this word in Job - both in this chapter and both coloured orange. I can see that my translation might be opaque - taking advantage at an opening is different from lying in wait at his friend's door. The word can be translated door - but lying in wait at his friend's door is hardly the act of a complete person.

The second use of the word has to do with acting in a situation rather than not acting - keeping silence and not taking the opening to correct an evil situation.

These two uses enclose much of the chapter.

WoundedEgo said...

So what is the opening? The "opportunity?"