Monday, June 22, 2009

Another thread - what is it?

I am going to be brave and show you this set of slightly mystifying words before I make the decision to correct them. They surround words that seem to me to be a significant theme - correction, chastisement, reasoning, arbitration. And the list is not complete - but it is all my brain can manage at once. Here finally, I think I will need to refine the glosses based on the stem of the verbs. And frankly, it is too late at night to begin the refinement process. Almost every second verse I find another thread that I have to review and decide on. But at least at this point I am looking both forward and backward.

The decisions are critical to understanding. The glosses I chose will determine the reality of the reactions in the different characters - and whether they are sympathetic or not. Does the text read us - or do we read the text?

You can see right away that I was inconsistent in chapters 4 and 5 and I now have a structural miscue that had downstream consequences.

Elihu has caused this! Some comic relief!


ג הִנֵּה יִסַּרְתָּ רַבִּים
וְיָדַיִם רָפוֹת תְּחַזֵּק
4.3 Behold you have mentored many
and weak hands you have made to prevail
יז הִנֵּה אַשְׁרֵי אֱנוֹשׁ יוֹכִחֶנּוּ אֱלוֹהַּ
וּמוּסַר שַׁדַּי אַל-תִּמְאָס
5.17 Behold happy is the mortal whom God corrects
the correction of the Sufficient do not refuse
כד הוֹרוּנִי וַאֲנִי אַחֲרִישׁ
וּמַה-שָּׁגִיתִי הָבִינוּ לִי
6.24 Teach me and I will be silent
and where I have strayed, make me understand
כה מַה-נִּמְרְצוּ אִמְרֵי-יֹשֶׁר
וּמַה-יּוֹכִיחַ הוֹכֵחַ מִכֶּם
6.25 how grievous are words of uprightness
so what does your correction correct?
כו הַלְהוֹכַח מִלִּים תַּחְשֹׁבוּ
וּלְרוּחַ אִמְרֵי נוֹאָשׁ
6.26 And to correct speeches - do you count
as wind the sayings of one who is desperate?
י הֲלֹא-הֵם יוֹרוּךָ יֹאמְרוּ לָךְ
וּמִלִּבָּם יוֹצִאוּ מִלִּים
8.10 will not they teach you and speak to you
and from their heart bring forth speeches
לג לֹא יֵשׁ-בֵּינֵינוּ מוֹכִיחַ
יָשֵׁת יָדוֹ עַל-שְׁנֵינוּ
9.33 there is not between us an umpire
that might fix his hand on the two of us
ז וְאוּלָם שְׁאַל-נָא בְהֵמוֹת וְתֹרֶךָּ
וְעוֹף הַשָּׁמַיִם וְיַגֶּד-לָךְ
12.7 "nevertheless ask please the beasts and they will teach you
and the birds of heaven and they will tell you
ח אוֹ שִׂיחַ לָאָרֶץ וְתֹרֶךָּ
וִיסַפְּרוּ לְךָ דְּגֵי הַיָּם
12.8 or complain to the earth and it will teach you
and the fishes of the sea will recount it to you"
יח מוּסַר מְלָכִים פִּתֵּחַ
וַיֶּאְסֹר אֵזוֹר בְּמָתְנֵיהֶם
12.18 correction of kings he opens
and binds their loins with a girdle
ג אוּלָם אֲנִי אֶל-שַׁדַּי אֲדַבֵּר
וְהוֹכֵחַ אֶל-אֵל אֶחְפָּץ
13.3 "nevertheless for me, to the Sufficient I would speak"
but I desire to reason with God
י הוֹכֵחַ יוֹכִיחַ אֶתְכֶם
אִם-בַּסֵּתֶר פָּנִים תִּשָּׂאוּן
13.10 Reason? he will reason with you
if you concealed lift up faces
טו הֵן יִקְטְלֵנִי
לא (לוֹ) אֲיַחֵל
אַךְ-דְּרָכַי אֶל-פָּנָיו אוֹכִיחַ
13.15 Lo - he will kill me
I do not wait
Surely my ways before his faces I will reason
ג הוֹכֵחַ בְּדָבָר לֹא-יִסְכּוֹן
וּמִלִּים לֹא-יוֹעִיל בָּם
15.3 To reason with a word without profit
and from speeches where he will not benefit
ה כִּי יְאַלֵּף עֲו‍ֹנְךָ פִיךָ
וְתִבְחַר לְשׁוֹן עֲרוּמִים
15.5 for your mouth mentors iniquity
and you chose the tongue of the subtle
כא וְיוֹכַח לְגֶבֶר עִם-אֱלוֹהַּ
וּבֶן-אָדָם לְרֵעֵהוּ
16.21 that a man might plead with God
and a child of dust with his friend
ה אִם-אָמְנָם עָלַי תַּגְדִּילוּ
וְתוֹכִיחוּ עָלַי חֶרְפָּתִי
19.5 If truly against me you gloat
and determine against me my reproach
ג מוּסַר כְּלִמָּתִי אֶשְׁמָע
וְרוּחַ מִבִּינָתִי יַעֲנֵנִי
20.3 correction of my insult I hear
and the spirit of my understanding makes me answer
כב הַלְאֵל יְלַמֶּד-דָּעַת
וְהוּא רָמִים יִשְׁפּוֹט
21.22 who will teach knowledge to God
when he the exalted judges?
ד הֲמִיִּרְאָתְךָ יֹכִיחֶךָ
יָבוֹא עִמְּךָ בַּמִּשְׁפָּט
22.4 will he from your fear correct you
will he come with you to judgment?
כב קַח-נָא מִפִּיו תּוֹרָה
וְשִׂים אֲמָרָיו בִּלְבָבֶךָ
22.22 take please from his mouth instruction
and set his words in your heart
ז שָׁם יָשָׁר נוֹכָח עִמּוֹ
וַאֲפַלְּטָה לָנֶצַח מִשֹּׁפְטִי
23.7 there the upright could reason with him
and I would be delivered in perpetuity from my judge
יא אוֹרֶה אֶתְכֶם בְּיַד-אֵל
אֲשֶׁר עִם-שַׁדַּי לֹא אֲכַחֵד
27.11 I will instruct you in the hand of God
that with the Sufficient I will not hide
יט הֹרָנִי לַחֹמֶר
וָאֶתְמַשֵּׁל כֶּעָפָר וָאֵפֶר
30.19 he has taught me in clay
and I am parabled as dust and ashes
יב וְעָדֵיכֶם אֶתְבּוֹנָן
וְהִנֵּה אֵין לְאִיּוֹב מוֹכִיח
עוֹנֶה אֲמָרָיו מִכֶּם
32.12 you I understood
and behold there is for Job no correction -
answer to his words from you
טז אָז יִגְלֶה אֹזֶן אֲנָשִׁים
וּבְמֹסָרָם יַחְתֹּם
33.16 then he reveals to mortal ear
and their mentoring he seals
יט וְהוּכַח בְּמַכְאוֹב עַל-מִשְׁכָּבוֹ
וריב (וְרוֹב) עֲצָמָיו אֵתָן
33.19 and he is chastened in being marred on his couch
and the contention of his bones is perennial
ב הֲרֹב עִם-שַׁדַּי יִסּוֹר מוֹכִיחַ אֱלוֹהַּ יַעֲנֶנָּה 40.2

No comments: