Saturday, June 20, 2009

Who laughs last?

This is a warning not to take comic relief too seriously. The next phase of Elihu's speech may reveal more of who he is. It is quite unexpected to me. Not only does he answer Job's requirement in chapter 19 but he betrays knowledge of the prologue, and the content of earlier speeches. The phrase - 'the gentle arrogance of the young anointed' comes to mind. In Elihu, the author of Job has presented him with the desire of his mouth but in a form that Job will not and cannot respond to. Such is the dictatorship of the author. I wonder if Elihu will fill the role of redeemer, and umpire in spite of his youth. I would not be surprised. He is comic relief only in the sense that the anointed fool of the Tarot pack is everywhere. (Following Charles Williams novel - one of the seven, The Greater Trumps).

I follow all my commentaries, having just made buns and pinched lots of dough, in using 'pinched from clay' in verse 6.



א וְאוּלָם שְׁמַע-נָא אִיּוֹב מִלָּי
וְכָל-דְּבָרַי הַאֲזִינָה
33.1 and nevertheless hear please Job my speech
and to all my words give ear
ב הִנֵּה-נָא פָּתַחְתִּי פִי
דִּבְּרָה לְשׁוֹנִי בְחִכִּי
33.2 behold please I open my mouth
my tongue has spoken in my taste
ג יֹשֶׁר-לִבִּי אֲמָרָי
וְדַעַת שְׂפָתַי בָּרוּר מִלֵּלוּ
33.3 the uprightness of my heart are my words
and knowledge my lips purified will utter
ד רוּחַ-אֵל עָשָׂתְנִי
וְנִשְׁמַת שַׁדַּי תְּחַיֵּנִי
33.4 the spirit of God has made me
and the breath of the Sufficient has given me life
ה אִם-תּוּכַל הֲשִׁיבֵנִי
עֶרְכָה לְפָנַי הִתְיַצָּבָה
33.5 if you have power to turn me
order before my face - present yourself
ו הֵן-אֲנִי כְפִיךָ לָאֵל
מֵחֹמֶר קֹרַצְתִּי גַם-אָנִי
33.6 Lo - I myself as your mouth to God
from clay I am pinched - even I myself
ז הִנֵּה אֵמָתִי לֹא תְבַעֲתֶךָּ
וְאַכְפִּי עָלֶיךָ לֹא-יִכְבָּד
33.7 behold my horror will not terrify you
and my open palm upon you will not be heavy

No comments: