Friday, July 10, 2009

Hand and open palm

What is the message in the hand and the open palm? This is a very common pair of words in Job. Notice to begin with that the accuser invites יְהוָה to lay a hand on Job - and יְהוָה says - behold he is in your hand - not once but twice. Eliphaz, the chief of the friends is credited with knowing that the hand is ambivalent. "He wounds and his hands make whole."

This is an odd cut and paste from my searching. It is a scrolling table - and it works on the blog and in Google reader... But look at the Hebrew forms you can see - and the rules of affixed pronouns. It is a remarkable exercise - and I have made several corrections - all minor - while seeing this detail. Some verbs for instance appear to take a preposition - as in English - and I missed the repetition of 'prevail' (8:15 and 20) - significant given the word used by Job's wife.


י הֲלֹא אַתָּה שַׂכְתָּ בַעֲדוֹ וּבְעַד בֵּיתוֹ
וּבְעַד כָּל אֲשֶׁר לוֹ מִסָּבִיב
מַעֲשֵׂה יָדָיו בֵּרַכְתָּ
וּמִקְנֵהוּ פָּרַץ בָּאָרֶץ
1.10 Have you not put a hedge about him and about his house
and about all that he has on every side?
For all the work of his hands you have blessed
and his acquisitions are bursting out in the earth
יא וְאוּלָם שְׁלַח נָא יָדְךָ וְגַע בְּכָל אֲשֶׁר לוֹ
אִם לֹא עַל פָּנֶיךָ יְבָרְכֶךָּ
1.11 Nevertheless stretch out your hand and touch all that he has
will he not in your face bless you?
יב וַיֹּאמֶר יְהוָה אֶל הַשָּׂטָן
הִנֵּה כָל אֲשֶׁר לוֹ בְּיָדֶךָ
רַק אֵלָיו אַל תִּשְׁלַח יָדֶךָ
וַיֵּצֵא הַשָּׂטָן מֵעִם פְּנֵי יְהוָה
1.12 and יְהוָה said to the accuser
behold, all that he has is in your hand
But on himself do not stretch out your hand
So the accuser came forth from the presence of יְהוָה
יד וּמַלְאָךְ בָּא אֶל אִיּוֹב וַיֹּאמַר
הַבָּקָר הָיוּ חֹרְשׁוֹת וְהָאֲתֹנוֹת רֹעוֹת עַל יְדֵיהֶם
1.14 and a messenger came to Job saying
The oxen were plowing and the asses grazing at their hand
ה אוּלָם שְׁלַח נָא יָדְךָ וְגַע אֶל עַצְמוֹ וְאֶל בְּשָׂרוֹ
אִם לֹא אֶל פָּנֶיךָ יְבָרְכֶךָּ
2.05 Nevertheless stretch out your hand and touch his bone and his flesh
will he not in your face bless you?
ו וַיֹּאמֶר יְהוָה אֶל הַשָּׂטָן
הִנּוֹ בְיָדֶךָ
אַךְ אֶת נַפְשׁוֹ שְׁמֹר
2.06 and יְהוָה said to the accuser
behold him in your hand
But his life you preserve
ג הִנֵּה יִסַּרְתָּ רַבִּים
וְיָדַיִם רָפוֹת תְּחַזֵּק
4.03 Behold you have mentored many
and weak hands you have made to prevail
יב מֵפֵר מַחְשְׁבוֹת עֲרוּמִים
וְלֹא-תַעֲשֶׂנָה יְדֵיהֶם תֻּשִׁיָּה
5.12 who frustrates the machinations of the subtle
and their hands will not make for success
טו וַיֹּשַׁע מֵחֶרֶב
מִפִּיהֶם
וּמִיַּד חָזָק אֶבְיוֹן
5.15 but he saves from the sword
from their mouth
and from the hand of the powerful
the poor
יח כִּי הוּא יַכְאִיב וְיֶחְבָּשׁ
יִמְחַץ וְיָדָו תִּרְפֶּינָה
5.18 for this one mars and he binds
he wounds and his hands make whole
כ בְּרָעָב פָּדְךָ מִמָּוֶת
וּבְמִלְחָמָה מִידֵי חָרֶב
5.20 from famine he will ransom you
and in war from the hand of the sword
ט וְיֹאֵל אֱלוֹהַּ וִידַכְּאֵנִי
יַתֵּר יָדוֹ וִיבַצְּעֵנִי
6.09 and God would be humored to crush me
that he would let go his hand and finish me
כג וּמַלְּטוּנִי מִיַּד-צָר
וּמִיַּד עָרִיצִים תִּפְדּוּנִי
6.23 or you help me escape from the hand of trouble
or from the hand of the oppressor you ransom me?
ד אִם-בָּנֶיךָ חָטְאוּ-לוֹ
וַיְשַׁלְּחֵם בְּיַד-פִּשְׁעָם
8.04 If your children sinned against him
then he sent them away by the hand of their transgressions.
כ הֶן-אֵל לֹא יִמְאַס-תָּם
וְלֹא-יַחֲזִיק בְּיַד-מְרֵעִים
8.20 Lo - God will not reject completeness
nor will he prevail in the hand of evildoers


Note on 8:20
כד אֶרֶץ נִתְּנָה בְיַד-רָשָׁע
פְּנֵי-שֹׁפְטֶיהָ יְכַסֶּה
אִם-לֹא אֵפוֹא מִי-הוּא
9.24 earth is given into the hand of the wicked
the faces of the judges he blindfolds
if not there? then who -
ל אִם-הִתְרָחַצְתִּי במו- בְמֵי-שָׁלֶג
וַהֲזִכּוֹתִי בְּבֹר כַּפָּי
9.30 If I wash myself in waters of snow
And brighten with purity my open palms
לג לֹא יֵשׁ-בֵּינֵינוּ מוֹכִיחַ
יָשֵׁת יָדוֹ עַל-שְׁנֵינוּ
9.33 there is not between us a referee
that might fix his hand on the two of us
ג הֲטוֹב לְךָ כִּי תַעֲשֹׁק
כִּי-תִמְאַס יְגִיעַ כַּפֶּיךָ
וְעַל-עֲצַת רְשָׁעִים הוֹפָעְתָּ
10.03 Is it good to you that you oppress
that you refuse the labour of your open palms
and shine on the counsel of the wicked?
ז עַל-דַּעְתְּךָ כִּי-לֹא אֶרְשָׁע
וְאֵין מִיָּדְךָ מַצִּיל
10.07 In your knowledge I am not wicked
but there is not from your hand a rescue
ח יָדֶיךָ עִצְּבוּנִי וַיַּעֲשׂוּנִי
יַחַד סָבִיב וַתְּבַלְּעֵנִי
10.08 your hands shaped me and made me
together on every side yet you swallow me
יג אִם-אַתָּה הֲכִינוֹתָ לִבֶּךָ
וּפָרַשְׂתָּ אֵלָיו כַּפֶּיךָ
11.13 If for you, you establish your heart
and stretch out to him your open palms
יד אִם-אָוֶן בְּיָדְךָ הַרְחִיקֵהוּ
וְאַל-תַּשְׁכֵּן בְּאֹהָלֶיךָ עַוְלָה
11.14 if the iniquity in your hands you put far away
and do not let injustice dwell in your tent
ו יִשְׁלָיוּ אֹהָלִים לְשֹׁדְדִים
וּבַטֻּחוֹת לְמַרְגִּיזֵי אֵל לַאֲשֶׁר
הֵבִיא אֱלוֹהַּ בְּיָדוֹ
12.06 The tents of robbers are safe
they who provoke God are trustworthy
whatever God brings to their hand
ט מִי לֹא-יָדַע בְּכָל-אֵלֶּה
כִּי יַד-יְהוָה עָשְׂתָה זֹּאת
12.09 who does not know among all these
that the hand of יְהוָה has done this?
י אֲשֶׁר בְּיָדוֹ נֶפֶשׁ כָּל-חָי
וְרוּחַ כָּל-בְּשַׂר-אִישׁ
12.10 "In his hand is the being of every life
and the breath of all the flesh of a man"
יד עַל-מָה
אֶשָּׂא בְשָׂרִי בְשִׁנָּי
וְנַפְשִׁי אָשִׂים בְּכַפִּי
13.14 on whatever
I will lift up my flesh by my teeth
and my life place in my open palm
כא כַּפְּךָ מֵעָלַי הַרְחַק
וְאֵמָתְךָ אַל-תְּבַעֲתַנִּי
13.21 Your open palm put far from me
and your horror - let it not terrify me
טו תִּקְרָא וְאָנֹכִי אֶעֱנֶךָּ
לְמַעֲשֵׂה יָדֶיךָ תִכְסֹף
14.15 You will call and I, I will answer you
the work of your hands you will desire
כג נֹדֵד הוּא לַלֶּחֶם אַיֵּה
יָדַע כִּי-נָכוֹן בְּיָדוֹ יוֹם-חֹשֶׁךְ
15.23 Chased, he himself bread for the vulture
He knows that prepared in his hand is the day of darkness
כה כִּי-נָטָה אֶל-אֵל יָדוֹ
וְאֶל-שַׁדַּי יִתְגַּבָּר
15.25 For he stretched out his hands against God
and against the Sufficient made himself great
יא יַסְגִּירֵנִי אֵל אֶל עֲוִיל
וְעַל-יְדֵי רְשָׁעִים יִרְטֵנִי
16.11 God has shut me up with injustice
and to the hand of the wicked he has surrendered me
יז עַל לֹא-חָמָס בְּכַפָּי
וּתְפִלָּתִי זַכָּה
16.17 and not for violence in my open palms
also my prayer is pure
ג שִׂימָה-נָּא עָרְבֵנִי עִמָּךְ
מִי הוּא לְיָדִי יִתָּקֵעַ
17.03 Set out please - you be my guarantor
who is he that will strike my hand?
ט וְיֹאחֵז צַדִּיק דַּרְכּוֹ
וּטְהָר-יָדַיִם יֹסִיף אֹמֶץ
17.09 the righteous will grasp his way
and the clean of hands will add strength
כא חָנֻּנִי חָנֻּנִי אַתֶּם רֵעָי
כִּי יַד-אֱלוֹהַּ נָגְעָה בִּי
19.21 Be gracious, be gracious, you my friends
for the hand of God has touched me
י בָּנָיו יְרַצּוּ דַלִּים
וְיָדָיו תָּשֵׁבְנָה אוֹנוֹ
20.10 his children will seek acceptance of the deprived
but his hands will return their vigor
כב בִּמְלֹאות שִׂפְקוֹ יֵצֶר לוֹ
כָּל-יַד עָמֵל תְּבֹאֶנּוּ
20.22 in the fullness of his abundance he is short
every hand of misery comes upon him
ה פְּנוּ-אֵלַי וְהָשַׁמּוּ
וְשִׂימוּ יָד עַל-פֶּה
21.05 Be present to me and be appalled
and set a hand to your mouth
טז הֵן לֹא בְיָדָם טוּבָם
עֲצַת רְשָׁעִים רָחֲקָה מֶנִּי
21.16 Lo not "in their hand is their good"
the counsel of the wicked is far from me
ל יְמַלֵּט אִי-נָקִי
וְנִמְלַט בְּבֹר כַּפֶּיךָ
22.30 he will allow escape of the land of the innocent
and he is made to escape by the purity of your open palms
ב גַּם-הַיּוֹם מְרִי שִׂחִי
יָדִי כָּבְדָה עַל-אַנְחָתִי
23.02 Even today bitter is my complaint
my hand is heavy on my sighing
יג בְּרוּחוֹ שָׁמַיִם שִׁפְרָה
חֹלְלָה יָדוֹ נָחָשׁ בָּרִחַ
26.13 in his spirit the heavens are beautified
his hand has writhed the fugitive serpent
יא אוֹרֶה אֶתְכֶם בְּיַד-אֵל
אֲשֶׁר עִם-שַׁדַּי לֹא אֲכַחֵד
27.11 I will instruct you in the hand of God
that with the Sufficient I will not hide
כב וְיַשְׁלֵךְ עָלָיו וְלֹא יַחְמֹל
מִיָּדוֹ בָּרוֹחַ יִבְרָח
27.22 "and he casts away and shows no mercy
from his hand to flee he flees
כג יִשְׂפֹּק עָלֵימוֹ כַפֵּימוֹ
וְיִשְׁרֹק עָלָיו מִמְּקֹמוֹ
27.23 "they will close their open palms on him
and hiss at him from his place"
ט בַּחַלָּמִישׁ שָׁלַח יָדוֹ
הָפַךְ מִשֹּׁרֶשׁ הָרִים
28.09 on the flint he stretches out his hand
he overturns the roots of the mountains
ט שָׂרִים עָצְרוּ בְמִלִּים
וְכַף יָשִׂימוּ לְפִיהֶם
29.09 chiefs withheld their speeches
and open palm they set on their mouth
כ כְּבוֹדִי חָדָשׁ עִמָּדִי
וְקַשְׁתִּי בְּיָדִי תַחֲלִיף
29.20 my glory fresh against me
and my bow in my hand passed through
ב גַּם-כֹּחַ יְדֵיהֶם לָמָּה לִּי
עָלֵימוֹ אָבַד כָּלַח
30.02 indeed what is the strength of their hands to me
on them fullness has perished
יב עַל-יָמִין פִּרְחַח יָקוּמוּ
רַגְלַי שִׁלֵּחוּ
וַיָּסֹלּוּ עָלַי
אָרְחוֹת אֵידָם
30.12 on the right hand the youth arise
my feet they stretch out
and they raise up for me
burdensome paths
כא תֵּהָפֵךְ לְאַכְזָר לִי
בְּעֹצֶם יָדְךָ תִשְׂטְמֵנִי
30.21 you have turned fierce to me
in your skeletal hand you oppose me
כד אַךְ לֹא-בְעִי יִשְׁלַח-יָד
אִם-בְּפִידוֹ לָהֶן שׁוּעַ
30.24 but not to one seeking will he stretch out a hand
even in his burden - to them crying
ז אִם תִּטֶּה אַשֻּׁרִי מִנִּי הַדָּרֶךְ
וְאַחַר עֵינַי הָלַךְ לִבִּי
וּבְכַפַּי דָּבַק מאוּם
31.07 if my paces have stretched the way
and after my eyes my heart has walked
and in my open palm clings a blemish
כא אִם-הֲנִיפוֹתִי עַל-יָתוֹם יָדִי
כִּי-אֶרְאֶה בַשַּׁעַר עֶזְרָתִי
31.21 if I have brandished my hand against the orphan
when I saw in the gate my help
כה אִם-אֶשְׂמַח כִּי-רַב חֵילִי
וְכִי-כַבִּיר מָצְאָה יָדִי
31.25 if I rejoice because my wealth is great
or because my hand found much
כז וַיִּפְתְּ בַּסֵּתֶר לִבִּי
וַתִּשַּׁק יָדִי לְפִי
31.27 and my heart enticed in concealment
or my mouth had kissed my hand
ז הִנֵּה אֵמָתִי לֹא תְבַעֲתֶךָּ
וְאַכְפִּי עָלֶיךָ לֹא-יִכְבָּד
33.07 behold my horror will not terrify you
and my open palm upon you will not be too heavy
יט אֲשֶׁר לֹא-נָשָׂא פְּנֵי שָׂרִים
וְלֹא נִכַּר-שׁוֹעַ לִפְנֵי-דָל
כִּי-מַעֲשֵׂה יָדָיו כֻּלָּם
34.19 who does not lift up the faces of chiefs
nor recognize the saved over the faces of the deprived
for the works of his hands are all of them
כ רֶגַע יָמֻתוּ
וַחֲצוֹת לָיְלָה יְגֹעֲשׁוּ עָם וְיַעֲבֹרוּ
וְיָסִירוּ אַבִּיר לֹא בְיָד
34.20 in a moment they die
and in the middle of the night people quake and pass on
and the mighty are turned away without a hand
ז אִם-צָדַקְתָּ מַה-תִּתֶּן-לוֹ
אוֹ מַה-מִּיָּדְךָ יִקָּח
35.07 if you are righteous what do you give to him
or what from your hand does he take?
לב עַל-כַּפַּיִם כִּסָּה-אוֹר
וַיְצַו עָלֶיהָ בְמַפְגִּיעַ
36.32 on open palms he covers light
and he commands her in meeting
ז בְּיַד-כָּל-אָדָם יַחְתּוֹם
לָדַעַת כָּל-אַנְשֵׁי מַעֲשֵׂהוּ
37.07 In the hand of every human he seals
for the knowledge of all mortals of his work
ד הֵן קַלֹּתִי מָה אֲשִׁיבֶךָּ
יָדִי שַׂמְתִּי לְמוֹ-פִי
40.04 Lo I am slight what will I return to you?
my hand I set over my mouth
יד וְגַם-אֲנִי אוֹדֶךָּ
כִּי-תוֹשִׁעַ לְךָ יְמִינֶךָ
40.14 and even I myself will instruct
that salvation is yours by your right hand
לב שִׂים-עָלָיו כַּפֶּךָ
זְכֹר מִלְחָמָה אַל-תּוֹסַף
41.08 set on him your open palm
remember the battle and do not add to it

No comments: