Friday, June 26, 2009

Turn and turn again

O my beard and whiskers - I turn to turn at every turn. Turn away, return, turn, overturn. What will I do for a word that means - friends turn away, stomach is turned, and mountains overturned - but that doesn't have 'turn' in it? (I already have a few synonyms here so 9:5 'don't know what hit them' and 12:15 'ravage' don't show in this list - because I said I would ignore concordance on this word.) 29.24 raises another problem - trust, faith, etc. (But here I have followed an emendation.) There is a third set of words giving me pause - man, human, warrior, male etc. I may leave the combing till the end - but just to note how much refinement is required - or not.

א אִישׁ הָיָה בְאֶרֶץ עוּץ
אִיּוֹב שְׁמוֹ
וְהָיָה הָאִישׁ הַהוּא
תָּם וְיָשָׁר
וִירֵא אֱלֹהִים וְסָר מֵרָע
1.1 A man there was in the land of Uz
Job his name
and he was, the man, this very one,
complete and upright
and he fears God and turns away from evil
יְרֵא אֱלֹהִים וְסָר מֵרָע 1.8,2.3 similar
כא וַיֹּאמֶר עָרֹם יָצָתִי מִבֶּטֶן אִמִּי
וְעָרֹם אָשׁוּב שָׁמָּה
יְהוָה נָתַן וַיהוָה לָקָח
יְהִי שֵׁם יְהוָה מְבֹרָךְ
1.21 and said Naked I came from the belly of my mother
and naked I will return there
יְהוָה gave and יְהוָה has taken away
let the name of יְהוָה be blessed
כט שׁוּבוּ-נָא אַל-תְּהִי עַוְלָה
וְשֻׁבוּ עוֹד צִדְקִי-בָהּ
6.29 Turn - pray - let it not be injustice
turn - my justice is in it
ז זְכֹר כִּי-רוּחַ חַיָּי
לֹא-תָשׁוּב
עֵינִי לִרְאוֹת טוֹב
7.7 remember that but a breath is my life
my eye will not return back to see good
י לֹא-יָשׁוּב עוֹד לְבֵיתוֹ
וְלֹא-יַכִּירֶנּוּ עוֹד מְקֹמוֹ
7.10 he will no longer return to his house
and his place will no longer recognize him
יג אֱלוֹהַּ לֹא-יָשִׁיב אַפּוֹ
תַּחְתָּו שָׁחֲחוּ עֹזְרֵי רָהַב
9.13 God does not turn his anger
under him the helpers of Rahab bow
יח לֹא-יִתְּנֵנִי הָשֵׁב רוּחִי
כִּי יַשְׂבִּעַנִי מַמְּרֹרִים
9.18 he will not give me a turn to breathe
but fills me with bitterness
לד יָסֵר מֵעָלַי שִׁבְטוֹ
וְאֵמָתוֹ אַל-תְּבַעֲתַנִּי
9.34 Let him turn away from me his staff
and let not his horror terrify me
טז וְיִגְאֶה כַּשַּׁחַל תְּצוּדֵנִי
וְתָשֹׁב תִּתְפַּלָּא-בִי
10.16 As proud as the aged beast you hunt
you return demonstrating marvels with me
כא בְּטֶרֶם אֵלֵךְ וְלֹא אָשׁוּב
אֶל-אֶרֶץ חֹשֶׁךְ וְצַלְמָוֶת
10.21 before I go and not return
to the land of darkness and obscurity
י אִם-יַחֲלֹף וְיַסְגִּיר וְיַקְהִיל
וּמִי יְשִׁיבֶנּוּ
11.10 If he passes or shuts or gathers,
who can turn him?
כ מֵסִיר שָׂפָה לְנֶאֱמָנִים
וְטַעַם זְקֵנִים יִקָּח
12.20 he turns lips from those who are sure of themselves
and the discretion of the aged he takes away
כד מֵסִיר לֵב רָאשֵׁי עַם-הָאָרֶץ
וַיַּתְעֵם בְּתֹהוּ לֹא-דָרֶךְ
12.24 he turns away the heart of the head of the people of the earth
and makes them wander formless without a way
כב וּקְרָא וְאָנֹכִי אֶעֱנֶה
אוֹ-אֲדַבֵּר וַהֲשִׁיבֵנִי
13.22 then call and I myself will answer
or I will speak and you will turn to me
יג מִי יִתֵּן בִּשְׁאוֹל תַּצְפִּנֵנִי
תַּסְתִּירֵנִי עַד-שׁוּב אַפֶּךָ
תָּשִׁית לִי חֹק וְתִזְכְּרֵנִי
14.13 If only you would treasure me in Sheol
and conceal me till turned is your wrath
fix me a portion and remember me
יג כִּי-תָשִׁיב אֶל-אֵל רוּחֶךָ
וְהֹצֵאתָ מִפִּיךָ מִלִּין
15.13 that you turn against God your wind
and let forth from your mouth such speeches?
כב לֹא-יַאֲמִין שׁוּב מִנִּי-חֹשֶׁךְ
וצפו (וְצָפוּי) הוּא אֱלֵי-חָרֶב
15.22 He does not believe that he himself will return from darkness
and being watched he himself is for the sword
ל לֹא-יָסוּר מִנִּי-חֹשֶׁךְ
יֹנַקְתּוֹ תְּיַבֵּשׁ שַׁלְהָבֶת
וְיָסוּר בְּרוּחַ פִּיו
15.30 He will not turn away from darkness
flame will dry his branches
and he will turn away by the breath of his mouth
כב כִּי-שְׁנוֹת מִסְפָּר יֶאֱתָיוּ
וְאֹרַח לֹא-אָשׁוּב אֶהֱלֹךְ
16.22 for numbered years are come upon me
and the path of no return I will go
י וְאוּלָם כֻּלָּם
תָּשֻׁבוּ וּבֹאוּ נָא
וְלֹא-אֶמְצָא בָכֶם חָכָם
17.10 nevertheless for all of them
you return and you come please
for I will not find among you a wise one
יט תִּעֲבוּנִי כָּל-מְתֵי סוֹדִי
וְזֶה-אָהַבְתִּי נֶהְפְּכוּ-בִי
19.19 All my intimate friends abhor me
and those I love turn from me
ב לָכֵן שְׂעִפַּי יְשִׁיבוּנִי
וּבַעֲבוּר חוּשִׁי בִי
20.2 therefore my thought makes me turn
and as such, haste is in me
י בָּנָיו יְרַצּוּ דַלִּים
וְיָדָיו תָּשֵׁבְנָה אוֹנוֹ
20.10 his children will seek acceptance of the deprived
but his hands will return their vigor
יד לַחְמוֹ בְּמֵעָיו נֶהְפָּךְ
מְרוֹרַת פְּתָנִים בְּקִרְבּוֹ
20.14 his bread is turned in his intestines
the bitterness of asps within him
יח מֵשִׁיב יָגָע וְלֹא יִבְלָע כְּחֵיל
תְּמוּרָתוֹ וְלֹא יַעֲלֹס
20.18 from returning toil and not swallowing wealth
he will recompense and will not be a peacock
יד וַיֹּאמְרוּ לָאֵל סוּר מִמֶּנּוּ
וְדַעַת דְּרָכֶיךָ לֹא חָפָצְנוּ
21.14 and they say to God, turn from us
and the knowledge of your ways we do not desire
יז הָאֹמְרִים לָאֵל סוּר מִמֶּנּוּ
וּמַה-יִּפְעַל שַׁדַּי לָמוֹ
22.17 Who said to God - turn from us
- so what can the Sufficient do for them?
כג אִם-תָּשׁוּב עַד-שַׁדַּי תִּבָּנֶה
תַּרְחִיק עַוְלָה מֵאָהֳלֶךָ
22.23 if you return to the Sufficient you will be built
let injustice be far from your tents
יג וְהוּא בְאֶחָד וּמִי יְשִׁיבֶנּוּ
וְנַפְשׁוֹ אִוְּתָה וַיָּעַשׂ
23.13 but he is in one and who will turn him?
and his being longs
so he does
ב חַי-אֵל הֵסִיר מִשְׁפָּטִי
וְשַׁדַּי הֵמַר נַפְשִׁי
27.2 God lives
he has turned away my judgment
and the Sufficient has embittered my being
ה חָלִילָה לִּי אִם-אַצְדִּיק
אֶתְכֶם עַד-אֶגְוָע לֹא-אָסִיר תֻּמָּתִי מִמֶּנִּי
27.5 A curse on me if I justify you
till I expire I will not turn away my completeness from me
ה אֶרֶץ מִמֶּנָּה יֵצֵא-לָחֶם
וְתַחְתֶּיהָ נֶהְפַּךְ כְּמוֹ-אֵשׁ
28.5 earth - from her comes forth bread
and under her is overturned something like fire
ט בַּחַלָּמִישׁ שָׁלַח יָדוֹ
הָפַךְ מִשֹּׁרֶשׁ הָרִים
28.9, 9:5
on the flint he stretches out his hand
he overturns the roots of the mountains
כח וַיֹּאמֶר לָאָדָם
הֵן יִרְאַת אֲדֹנָי הִיא חָכְמָה
וְסוּר מֵרָע בִּינָה
28.28 and he said to the human
lo - the fear of the Lord - that is wisdom
and to turn away from evil is understanding
כד אֶשְׂחַק אֲלֵהֶם לֹא יַאֲמִינוּ
וְאוֹר פָּנַי לֹא יַפִּילוּן
29.24 I laughed at them they did not turn aside
and the light of my face they did not let fall
טו הָהְפַּךְ עָלַי
בַּלָּהוֹת תִּרְדֹּף כָּרוּחַ נְדִבָתִי
וּכְעָב עָבְרָה יְשֻׁעָתִי
30.15 he makes destructions turn on me
she pursues as the wind my good will
and as a cloud my salvation passes
כא תֵּהָפֵךְ לְאַכְזָר לִי
בְּעֹצֶם יָדְךָ תִשְׂטְמֵנִי
30.21 you have turned fierce to me
in your skeletal hand you oppose me
יד וּמָה אֶעֱשֶׂה כִּי-יָקוּם אֵל
וְכִי-יִפְקֹד מָה אֲשִׁיבֶנּוּ
31.14 then what will I do when God rises
for when he visits - how will I turn to him?
יד וְלֹא-עָרַךְ אֵלַי מִלִּין
וּבְאִמְרֵיכֶם לֹא אֲשִׁיבֶנּוּ
32.14 and he has not ordered against me his speeches
so in your words I will not turn to him
ה אִם-תּוּכַל הֲשִׁיבֵנִי
עֶרְכָה לְפָנַי הִתְיַצָּבָה
33.5 if you have power to turn me
order before my face - present yourself
יז לְהָסִיר אָדָם מַעֲשֶׂה
וְגֵוָה מִגֶּבֶר יְכַסֶּה
33.17 to turn away the human from its work
and esteem from the warrior conceal
כה רֻטְפַשׁ בְּשָׂרוֹ מִנֹּעַר
יָשׁוּב לִימֵי עֲלוּמָיו
33.25 his flesh will be fresher than a lad's
he will return to the days of his youth
כו יֶעְתַּר אֶל-אֱלוֹהַּ וַיִּרְצֵהוּ
וַיַּרְא פָּנָיו בִּתְרוּעָה
וַיָּשֶׁב לֶאֱנוֹשׁ
צִדְקָתוֹ
33.26 he will make supplication to God and he will accept him
and he will see his face with a shout of joy
for he will return to a mortal his righteousness
ל לְהָשִׁיב נַפְשׁוֹ מִנִּי-שָׁחַת
לֵאוֹר בְּאוֹר הַחַיִּים
33.30 to return his being from the pit
to be enlightened in the light of the living
לב אִם-יֵשׁ-מִלִּין הֲשִׁיבֵנִי
דַּבֵּר כִּי-חָפַצְתִּי צַדְּקֶךָּ
33.32 if you have a speech, turn it to me
speak for I desire to justify you
ה כִּי-אָמַר אִיּוֹב צָדַקְתִּי
וְאֵל הֵסִיר מִשְׁפָּטִי
34.5 for Job said "I am righteous
and God has turned away my judgment
טו יִגְוַע כָּל-בָּשָׂר יָחַד
וְאָדָם עַל-עָפָר יָשׁוּב
34.15 all flesh will expire as one
and a human to dust will return
כ רֶגַע יָמֻתוּ
וַחֲצוֹת לָיְלָה יְגֹעֲשׁוּ עָם וְיַעֲבֹרוּ
וְיָסִירוּ אַבִּיר לֹא בְיָד
34.20 in a moment they die
and in the middle of the night people quake and pass on
and the mighty are turned away without a hand
כה לָכֵן יַכִּיר מַעְבָּדֵיהֶם
וְהָפַךְ לַיְלָה וְיִדַּכָּאוּ
34.25 because he recognizes their service
and he overturns night and they are crushed
כז אֲשֶׁר עַל-כֵּן סָרוּ מֵאַחֲרָיו
וְכָל-דְּרָכָיו לֹא הִשְׂכִּילוּ
34.27 because they turned aside from following him
and all his ways they considered without insight
לו אָבִי יִבָּחֵן אִיּוֹב עַד-נֶצַח
עַל-תְּשֻׁבֹת בְּאַנְשֵׁי-אָוֶן
34.36 my father he will be tried in perpetuity
to the turnings in mortals of iniquity
ד אֲנִי אֲשִׁיבְךָ מִלִּין
וְאֶת-רֵעֶיךָ עִמָּךְ
35.4 I will return you a speech
and your friends with you
י וַיִּגֶל אָזְנָם לַמּוּסָר
וַיֹּאמֶר כִּי-יְשׁוּבוּן מֵאָוֶן
36.10 and he reveals to their ear his mentoring
and says that they turn from iniquity

No comments: