Friday, June 26, 2009

Job in the Blogs

I have buried myself in this project and have just thought about coming up for air. Alan Lenzi and scott gray among others had interesting conversations a few months ago (here and here) .

Here's another detail issue - how poorly I must fare in my reading if the translators of note can argue. I think they don't argue over translation but over its political and religious impact. On this subject moot, I mute.

Loren Rossen III also has a go at Job in a book review where he quotes David Burrell for a 'new' reason why Job is commended: that he is "speaking to rather than about his creator." I have not read Burrell's book but at the risk of getting it right (a work of the flesh in my opinion) I think Burrell has a point. The friends never pray. Job does - just like the psalmist. God is not a theory nor is God subject to theoretical exploration without the reality of the lab. Test and see as the psalm goes. (Joke).

Searching back further I find a post on Job from Duane at Abnormal Interests from 2007. John Hobbins has several posts on Job, e.g. here - and many on his sidebar that I just discovered. As with the psalms, I won't find it much easier to interact with other readings but it will be a little easier at least to find a place in my house for the ideas that others present - now that the walls are a little better defined.

Many posts I expect ask the wrong question and therefore get odd answers if any. This post with a clear reply by Iyov himself shows the problem of relying on translations. And here's a post that wrestles with the character of God as portrayed in the poem. That's where the wrestling is.

To help me get some air in this post I used the Biblioblog search engine.

No comments: