Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Cover, secret, hide, conceal, withdraw

Again I struggle to hear differences in words of similar meaning. Some related words that are potentially overlapping in meaning I have not listed here: e.g. bury and treasure, both of which I had translated as hide before I did this painful exercise.


י כִּי לֹא סָגַר דַּלְתֵי בִטְנִי
וַיַּסְתֵּר עָמָל מֵעֵינָי
3.10 because it did not shut the doors of my belly
or conceal misery from my eyes
כג לְגֶבֶר אֲשֶׁר-דַּרְכּוֹ נִסְתָּרָה
וַיָּסֶךְ אֱלוֹהַּ בַּעֲדוֹ
3.23 to a man whose way is concealed
and from whom God has screened himself
כא בְּשׁוֹט לָשׁוֹן תֵּחָבֵא
וְלֹא-תִירָא מִשֹּׁד כִּי יָבוֹא
5.21 from the scourge of a tongue you will be withdrawn
and you will not be afraid of ruin when it comes
י וּתְהִי-עוֹד נֶחָמָתִי וַאֲסַלְּדָה
בְחִילָה לֹא יַחְמוֹל
כִּי-לֹא כִחַדְתִּי אִמְרֵי קָדוֹשׁ
6.10 then still is my consolation and I leap for joy
agony let him be merciless
for I did not hide the promises of holiness
טז הַקֹּדְרִים מִנִּי-קָרַח
עָלֵימוֹ יִתְעַלֶּם-שָׁלֶג
6.16 darkened by ice
keeping secret their snow
ו וְיַגֶּד-לְךָ תַּעֲלֻמוֹת חָכְמָה
כִּי-כִפְלַיִם לְתוּשִׁיָּה
וְדַע כִּי-יַשֶּׁה לְךָ אֱלוֹהַּ מֵעֲו‍ֹנֶךָ
11.6 and tell you secret wisdom
that they are double success
so know that for you God removes your iniquity
י הוֹכֵחַ יוֹכִיחַ אֶתְכֶם
אִם-בַּסֵּתֶר פָּנִים תִּשָּׂאוּן
13.10 Reason? he will reason with you
if you concealed lift up faces
כ אַךְ-שְׁתַּיִם אַל-תַּעַשׂ עִמָּדִי
אָז מִפָּנֶיךָ לֹא אֶסָּתֵר
13.20 But two things do not do against me
then from your faces I will not conceal myself
כד לָמָּה-פָנֶיךָ תַסְתִּיר
וְתַחְשְׁבֵנִי לְאוֹיֵב לָךְ
13.24 and why do you conceal your faces
and count me as your enemy?
יג מִי יִתֵּן בִּשְׁאוֹל תַּצְפִּנֵנִי
תַּסְתִּירֵנִי עַד-שׁוּב אַפֶּךָ
תָּשִׁית לִי חֹק וְתִזְכְּרֵנִי
14.13 If only you would treasure me in Sheol
and conceal me till turned is your wrath
fix me a portion and remember me
יח אֲשֶׁר-חֲכָמִים יַגִּידוּ
וְלֹא כִחֲדוּ מֵאֲבוֹתָם
15.18 which the wise have made known
and their fathers did not hide it from them
כז כִּי-כִסָּה פָנָיו בְּחֶלְבּוֹ
וַיַּעַשׂ פִּימָה עֲלֵי-כָסֶל
15.27 he covers his face with fat
and greases the flank
כח וַיִּשְׁכּוֹן עָרִים נִכְחָדוֹת
בָּתִּים לֹא-יֵשְׁבוּ לָמוֹ
אֲשֶׁר הִתְעַתְּדוּ לְגַלִּים
15.28 And he dwells in hidden cities
houses where they cannot sit
which are ready to be rubble
יח אֶרֶץ אַל-תְּכַסִּי דָמִי
וְאַל-יְהִי מָקוֹם לְזַעֲקָתִי
16.18 Earth cover not my blood
and let there be no end of place for my outcry
יב אִם-תַּמְתִּיק בְּפִיו רָעָה
יַכְחִידֶנָּה תַּחַת לְשֹׁנוֹ
20.12 if evil is sweet to his mouth
he hides it under his tongue
כו יַחַד עַל-עָפָר יִשְׁכָּבוּ
וְרִמָּה תְּכַסֶּה עֲלֵיהֶם
21.26 as one in dust they lie
and worms cover them
יא אוֹ-חֹשֶׁךְ לֹא-תִרְאֶה
וְשִׁפְעַת-מַיִם תְּכַסֶּךָּ
22.11 or darkness you do not see
and abundance of waters covers you
יד עָבִים סֵתֶר-לוֹ וְלֹא יִרְאֶה
וְחוּג שָׁמַיִם יִתְהַלָּךְ
22.14 clouds concealing him so he does not see
and the circle of heaven he walks"
יז כִּי-לֹא נִצְמַתִּי מִפְּנֵי-חֹשֶׁךְ
וּמִפָּנַי כִּסָּה-אֹפֶל
23.17 for I did not vanish in the face of darkness
and from my face he covered gloom
ד יַטּוּ אֶבְיֹנִים מִדָּרֶךְ
יַחַד חֻבְּאוּ עֲנִיֵּי-אָרֶץ
24.4 they spread out the poor from the way
as one the needy of earth withdraw themselves
ז עָרוֹם יָלִינוּ מִבְּלִי לְבוּשׁ
וְאֵין כְּסוּת בַּקָּרָה
24.7 the naked they make endure without clothing
so there is no covering in the cold
טו וְעֵין נֹאֵף שָׁמְרָה נֶשֶׁף לֵאמֹר
לֹא-תְשׁוּרֵנִי עָיִן וְסֵתֶר פָּנִים יָשִׂים
24.15 and an eye of adultery watches for twilight saying
no eye will look on me and concealing faces he sets out
ו עָרוֹם שְׁאוֹל נֶגְדּוֹ
וְאֵין כְּסוּת לָאֲבַדּוֹן
26.6 naked is Sheol before him
and there is no covering of Abaddon
יא אוֹרֶה אֶתְכֶם בְּיַד-אֵל
אֲשֶׁר עִם-שַׁדַּי לֹא אֲכַחֵד
27.11 I will instruct you in the hand of God
that with the Sufficient I will not hide
יא מִבְּכִי נְהָרוֹת חִבֵּשׁ
וְתַעֲלֻמָהּ יֹצִא אוֹר
28.11 from weeping he binds the streams
and things secret he brings to light
כא וְנֶעֶלְמָה מֵעֵינֵי כָל-חָי
וּמֵעוֹף הַשָּׁמַיִם נִסְתָּרָה
28.21 and she is secreted from the eyes of all living
and from the birds of heaven she is concealed
ח רָאוּנִי נְעָרִים וְנֶחְבָּאוּ
וִישִׁישִׁים קָמוּ עָמָדוּ
29.8 the lads would see me and withdraw themselves
the aged arose and stood up
י קוֹל-נְגִידִים נֶחְבָּאוּ
וּלְשׁוֹנָם לְחִכָּם דָּבֵקָה
29.10 the voice of the nobles withdrew itself
and their tongue to their palate stuck
יט אִם-אֶרְאֶה אוֹבֵד מִבְּלִי לְבוּשׁ
וְאֵין כְּסוּת לָאֶבְיוֹן
31.19 If I have seen one perishing for lack of clothing
or any uncovered poor
כז וַיִּפְתְּ בַּסֵּתֶר לִבִּי
וַתִּשַּׁק יָדִי לְפִי
31.27 and my heart enticed in concealment
or my mouth had kissed my hand

No comments: