Sunday, March 1, 2009

Dreaming in Hebrew

Here's a post about how we must stand before God. Yes indeed we must and we do but it is not to say 'ולומר עשיתי כל מה שאני יכול' I have done all that I can.

There is much more that is done in me for me. As I noted there "To be called to faith is to wrestle - even if it is on behalf of others who are different. To stand before God with a clean heart is to stand cleansed not by one's own doing."

I dreamed these words in English and Hebrew - struggling in my sleep to translate. It is a very hard exercise and it woke me up at 4:30 am - and I have not done this before.

Not that I did all that I can

בַל־אֲשֶׁר עָשִׂיתִי יָכֹלְתִּי לַעֲשֹׂות
but that under your rebuke or under your mercy
in covenant with you I was known
וּבְחַסְדְּךָ וּבְחַסְדְּךָ בִּבְרִיתֶךָ אִוָּדַע
Wherever I go, East or West, North or South, heaven or hell
let it be that I find you there
בְּכֹל אֲשֶׁר־הִתְהַלַּכְתִּי יָמָּה וָקֵדְמָה וְצָפֹנָה וָנֶגְבָּה וּשָׁמַיִם וּשְּׁאֹול
וְהָיָה אִם־
אִמְצְאךָ שָׁם
and he will answer
I made you for myself
I will go with you and will not leave you
וְאָמַר עָשִׂיתִי אֹתָם לִי וְהָלַכְתִּי אִתְּךְ וְלֹא אֶעֶזְבֶךָּ
It is not morality but mercy, the learning of faith
It is not a rule of words but endurance, the learning of hope
It is not sentiment but will, the learning of love
לֹא בְצִדְקָ כִּי אִם־בְּחֶסֶד סֵפֶר הָאֵמֻן
לֹא אִמְרֵי־יֹשֶׁר בְ כִּי אִם־בְּעֳמָד סֵפֶר הָתִקְוָה
לֹא בְמַשְׂכִּיֹּות כִּי אִם־בְּרְצֹונֹ סֵפֶר
הָאַהֲבָה
So was I made for this my friend Ha-Shem?
I was made for him and desire is for me
הָעֻשֵּׂיתִי לזֶה רֵעִי יְהוָה
עֻשֵּׂיתִי לְנֶגְדֹּֽו וְעָלַי תְּשׁוּקָתֹֽו

No comments: