Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Stage 2 - revisions re reproof/reprove/reason/ etc

Lo these are my intended modifications - having made a few choices as to how to shape this thread of instruction. Job is not about theodicy, and not about testing. It is about creation and love (like everything else).

Feedback and objection is welcomed anytime. I will likely revise the prior posts sooner than later.

ג הִנֵּה יִסַּרְתָּ רַבִּים וְיָדַיִם רָפוֹת תְּחַזֵּק 4.3 Behold you have mentored many and weak hands you have made to prevail יסר leave mentor as is - this word is related to מוסר so let its other uses also be glossed as mentoring - this gives an envelope to Eliphaz for his opening speech.
יז הִנֵּה אַשְׁרֵי אֱנוֹשׁ יוֹכִחֶנּוּ אֱלוֹהַּ וּמוּסַר שַׁדַּי אַל-תִּמְאָס 5.17 Behold happy is the mortal whom God reproves
the mentoring of the Sufficient do not refuse
(verb) יכח - (noun) מוסר I have used reject/refuse with some variation for מאס. I will chart it later if this proves unsatisfactory.
Use reprove/ prove/reason for ירה
change to mentoring - closes the bracket with 4.3
כד הוֹרוּנִי וַאֲנִי אַחֲרִישׁ וּמַה-שָּׁגִיתִי הָבִינוּ לִי 6.24 Instruct me and I will be silent and where I have strayed, make me understand ירה Go with instruct for and all derivatives ירה
כה מַה-נִּמְרְצוּ אִמְרֵי-יֹשֶׁר וּמַה-יּוֹכִיחַ הוֹכֵחַ מִכֶּם 6.25 how grievous are words of uprightness so what does your reproof prove? יכח
כו הַלְהוֹכַח מִלִּים תַּחְשֹׁבוּ וּלְרוּחַ אִמְרֵי נוֹאָשׁ 6.26 And to reprove speeches - do you count as wind the sayings of one who is desperate? יכח
י הֲלֹא-הֵם יוֹרוּךָ יֹאמְרוּ לָךְ וּמִלִּבָּם יוֹצִאוּ מִלִּים 8.10 will not they instruct you and speak to you and from their heart bring forth speeches ירה
לג לֹא יֵשׁ-בֵּינֵינוּ מוֹכִיחַ יָשֵׁת יָדוֹ עַל-שְׁנֵינוּ 9.33 there is not between us a referee that might fix his hand on the two of us יכח no suitable noun - referee gives the r and f sounds at least.
ז וְאוּלָם שְׁאַל-נָא בְהֵמוֹת וְתֹרֶךָּ וְעוֹף הַשָּׁמַיִם וְיַגֶּד-לָךְ 12.7 "nevertheless ask please the beasts and they will instruct you and the birds of heaven and they will tell you ירה
ח אוֹ שִׂיחַ לָאָרֶץ וְתֹרֶךָּ וִיסַפְּרוּ לְךָ דְּגֵי הַיָּם 12.8 or complain to the earth and it will instruct you and the fishes of the sea will recount it to you" ירה
יח מוּסַר מְלָכִים פִּתֵּחַ וַיֶּאְסֹר אֵזוֹר בְּמָתְנֵיהֶם 12.18 mentor of kings he opens and binds their loins with a girdle מוסר
ג אוּלָם אֲנִי אֶל-שַׁדַּי אֲדַבֵּר וְהוֹכֵחַ אֶל-אֵל אֶחְפָּץ 13.3 "nevertheless for me, to the Sufficient I would speak" but I desire to reason with God יכח Unable to escape from a different gloss
י הוֹכֵחַ יוֹכִיחַ אֶתְכֶם אִם-בַּסֵּתֶר פָּנִים תִּשָּׂאוּן 13.10 Reason? he will reason reproof with you if you concealed lift up faces יכח so I have doubled the word to link their sound and meaning
טו הֵן יִקְטְלֵנִי לא (לוֹ) אֲיַחֵל אַךְ-דְּרָכַי אֶל-פָּנָיו אוֹכִיחַ 13.15 Lo - he will kill me I do not wait Surely my ways before his faces I will reasoning prove יכח again - linking meaning and sound
ג הוֹכֵחַ בְּדָבָר לֹא-יִסְכּוֹן וּמִלִּים לֹא-יוֹעִיל בָּם 15.3 To 'reason' with a word without profit and from speeches where he will not benefit יכח
ה כִּי יְאַלֵּף עֲו‍ֹנְךָ פִיךָ וְתִבְחַר לְשׁוֹן עֲרוּמִים 15.5 for your mouth teaches iniquity and you chose the tongue of the subtle אלף Piel imperf / participle - render as teach
כא וְיוֹכַח לְגֶבֶר עִם-אֱלוֹהַּ וּבֶן-אָדָם לְרֵעֵהוּ 16.21 that a man might reason with God and a child of dust with his friend יכח
ה אִם-אָמְנָם עָלַי תַּגְדִּילוּ וְתוֹכִיחוּ עָלַי חֶרְפָּתִי 19.5 If truly against me you gloat and reason reproof against me my reproach יכח again doubling to connect the English words throughout the poem
ג מוּסַר כְּלִמָּתִי אֶשְׁמָע וְרוּחַ מִבִּינָתִי יַעֲנֵנִי 20.3 mentoring of my insult I hear and the spirit of my understanding makes me answer מוסר
כב הַלְאֵל יְלַמֶּד-דָּעַת וְהוּא רָמִים יִשְׁפּוֹט 21.22 who will impart knowledge to God when he the exalted judges? למד unique - change to impart
ד הֲמִיִּרְאָתְךָ יֹכִיחֶךָ יָבוֹא עִמְּךָ בַּמִּשְׁפָּט 22.4 will he from your fear reprove you will he come with you to judgment? יכח
כב קַח-נָא מִפִּיו תּוֹרָה וְשִׂים אֲמָרָיו בִּלְבָבֶךָ 22.22 take please from his mouth instruction and set his words in your heart תורה
ז שָׁם יָשָׁר נוֹכָח עִמּוֹ וַאֲפַלְּטָה לָנֶצַח מִשֹּׁפְטִי 23.7 there the upright could reason with him and I would be delivered in perpetuity from my judge יכח
יא אוֹרֶה אֶתְכֶם בְּיַד-אֵל אֲשֶׁר עִם-שַׁדַּי לֹא אֲכַחֵד 27.11 I will instruct you in the hand of God that with the Sufficient I will not hide ירה
יט הֹרָנִי לַחֹמֶר וָאֶתְמַשֵּׁל כֶּעָפָר וָאֵפֶר 30.19 he has instructed me in clay and I am parabled as dust and ashes ירה
יב וְעָדֵיכֶם אֶתְבּוֹנָן וְהִנֵּה אֵין לְאִיּוֹב מוֹכִיח עוֹנֶה אֲמָרָיו מִכֶּם 32.12 you I understood and behold there is for Job no reproof - answer to his words from you יכח
טז אָז יִגְלֶה אֹזֶן אֲנָשִׁים וּבְמֹסָרָם יַחְתֹּם 33.16 then he reveals to mortal ear and their mentoring he seals מסר
יט וְהוּכַח בְּמַכְאוֹב עַל-מִשְׁכָּבוֹ וריב (וְרוֹב) עֲצָמָיו אֵתָן 33.19 and he is reproved in being marred on his couch and the contention of his bones is perennial יכח
ב הֲרֹב עִם-שַׁדַּי יִסּוֹר מוֹכִיחַ אֱלוֹהַּ יַעֲנֶנָּה 40.2
יכח I leave this untranslated one here - to remind me that I am overseen in all my reasoning

No comments: